   Re: [xml-dev] The triples datamodel -- was Re: [xml-dev] SemanticWe

Elliotte Rusty Harold wrote:
> At 10:44 PM +0200 6/7/04, Henrik Martensson wrote:
>
>> The problem is that manual intervention is required every time someone
>> has added new tags arbitrarily.
>

> Which I continue to maintain is not a big deal because it doesn't
> actually happen that often. After the first couple of weeks of running a
> system, you've typically handled well over 99% of the messages your
> receive, and a system can easily run unattended for days, weeks, or
> months before something unexpected is encountered.

All this talk of applications that flag for human intervention when
incomprehensible data appears might just be acceptable when the
application is a big installation that has a dedicated support staff
anyway, but when it's something like:

> In many cases, it's enough to know that all the information you need is
> there. You really don't care is someone has thrown in additional markup.
> This is how web browsers operate for example.

...a web browser that gets deployed on millions of random machines all
over the place, then instead you get developers having to test their
HTML against a list of major browsers, and being wary about including
things like MathML, SVG, Java, Flash, etc. in their sites. It appears
that "in the large", these kinds of systems tend to end up constraining
the producers of content to a schema ("works in IE") anyway.

ABS