   [ANNOUNCE] Sedna v0.2 released

  • To: "XML Developers List" <xml-dev@lists.xml.org>
  • Subject: [ANNOUNCE] Sedna v0.2 released
  • From: "Maxim Grinev" <maxim@grinev.net>
  • Date: Thu, 10 Jun 2004 20:06:44 +0400

Hi,

we are happy to announce the second release of the Sedna XML DBMS (version
0.2).

New:
- Java API and Scheme API for application development
- Open and fully specified client/server protocol over sockets that allows
easily implementing APIs for other programming languages
- Many bugfixes
- Good performance improvement
(see our benchmark page with versions performance comparison:
http://www.modis.ispras.ru/Development/Benchmarks/sedna_benchmark.htm)
- XQuery support extensions: node comparisons (<<,>>,is), fn:contains
- A data definition language that allows creating/droping XML documents,
printing the names of the documents stored in database, printing descriptive
schema of XML documents.

Please, notice that using the client/server protocol you can easily
implement APIs for your favorite programming language. We will be happy to
support you in doing this.

Features:
- Available for free for commercial and non-commercial usage.
- Native XML DBMS implemented from scratch in C/C++ and Scheme
- Support for the W3C XQuery language (partial support for the latest
working drafts of 12 November 2003)
- Support for a declarative update language
- Native XML data storage structures designed for efficient support for both
queries and updates (no underlying relational or another DBMS). The XML data
storage is based on
descriptive schema (derived from data, also called DataGuide)
- Java API and Scheme API for application development
- Open client/server protocol over sockets that allows implementing APIs for
other programming languages
- Administration via easy-to-use command line utilities
- Supplied with extensive documentation including Quick Start

Sedna version 0.2, documentation, benchmarks, papers are available at
http://www.modis.ispras.ru/Development/sedna.htm

Any feedback is extremely welcome!

Cheers,
Maxim Grinev