   RE: Semantic Web Services

> What are some services that SemWeb
> applications could expose for discovery
> and integration into web client applications

I am still hopeful that annotation services for web browsing can become
popular.  I think that generic annotation (including rating services,
passive/implicit rating, bookmark integration) is a killer app, and has
failed so far only because implementations are walled gardens.

> including mobile applications?  In other

I expect eventually to see location-based services provided using
semantic web technologies.  People want to share information "about"
locations with other people.  I've seen at least one system based on RDF
which lets people register using a cellphone, and then when they are at
a particular venue, "hook up" with other people nearby.  I would imagine
things like venue reviews, tour-guide style information, and so on would
be useful to store semantically.

The reason I expect semweb technologies to eventually win here is
because there is strong incentive to have a standard an open mechanism
for submitting and querying location-based information.  Current
location-based services are walled gardens; for example, a restaurant
owner cannot submit information about her own restaurant without going
through a proprietary, vendor-owned network.  Different services have
different data.  The data "belongs" to the network rather than the
location, and there is strong incentive from people invested in the
location to reverse this.

So off the top of my head, I think the two most "realistic" scenarios
are annotation services and location-based services.

I have many other fantastical scenarios in mind.  Cars could passively
collect and share metadata about road conditions, aggressive drivers,
and so on.  Humans could attach memories to inanimate objects tagged by
RFID.

(Also note I am just assuming SOA/WS are simply service delivery
mechanism that could be used to deliver a semantic web service, so in my
mind the two are mostly orthogonal/complimentary)