   Re: [xml-dev] WS-Addressing to W3C: Is the Tide Turning?

Michael Champion wrote:

> Sure, but the point of WS-Addressing is standardization and
> interoperability.  Given that the service requester doesn't (and
> shouldn't) know the internal routing and protocol translation details
> behind a service interface, but these must be passed on through the
> various implementation components (and back to the requester if they
> must be referenced in a future operation that is part of the same
> transaction), using XML in the SOAP headers is a perfectly sensible way
> to do this.

That's fine - anyone that wants a URI to reference an XML structure
can make and RDF assertion about the structure.

> The absolutely last thing the W3C should
> do, assuming they want to ever get a web services submission again, is
> say "thanks, but no thanks, we don't think that needs to be
> standardized."

A cynic might point out that at this juncture the vendors have to be
seen to get their act together on the specification front -
customers and analysts are far from happy with how WS technology is
being managed currently. The same cynic might say that the W3C
evaluating a specification on the merits of the underlying
technology in question might be beneficial for all concerned.

cheers
Bill