   RE: [xml-dev] Are people really using Identity constraints specified in

  • To: <bry@itnisk.com>, "Cox, Bruce" <Bruce.Cox@USPTO.GOV>
  • Subject: RE: [xml-dev] Are people really using Identity constraints specified in XML schema?
  • From: "Hunsberger, Peter" <Peter.Hunsberger@STJUDE.ORG>
  • Date: Tue, 17 Aug 2004 09:26:32 -0500
  • Cc: <xml-dev@lists.xml.org>

bry@itnisk.com writes:

> Quoting "Cox, Bruce" <Bruce.Cox@USPTO.GOV>:
>
> > I, for one, am very interested in discussing these issues further.
> > Since XML Schema data typing cannot express all the business rules
> > that constrain, for example, patent document numbers (from
> about 100
> > issuing offices), what other technologies can be invoked
> that would?
> > What combination of technologies should be used, and in
> what order, to
> > accomplish the goal?  I'm interested in standards-based
> technologies,
> > such as XML Schema, to express such rules in a fashion that
> removes as
> > much variation as possible among systems that implement them around
> > the world.  Should we use a repository for the rules and their
> > implementations?
> >
> > Is anyone else interested?
> wow, this sounds like CAM
> http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/tc_home.php?wg_abbrev=cam

Many thanks for the link, when I first head of CAM the description
didn't make it sound at all useful (seems to me the name only partially
reflects the intended capabilities). This might be a standard that we
may eventually want to support.

Questions:

1) Just glancing at the spec it appears to have at least some overlap
with Schematron for parts of it.  Anyone looked at a Schematron to
CAM(/subcomponent?) conversion or the converse?

2) Any one using this for anything production like?

3) Any recommended software?