   RE: [xml-dev] Are people really using Identity constraints specif ied in

Bullard, Claude L (Len) <len.bullard@intergraph.com> asks:

> Would it be fair to say CAM is a dynamic document generator
> using boilerplate libraries?

I think that's at least partially true.

> That's not perjorative.  We've been building these since
> the CALS days and before.  The difference is we didn't use
> markup as the syntax for functions. (Thou Shalt Not
> Program in Markup: the early ISO dictum that held SGML's
> head under water while other declarative systems with
> better political positions pushed hypermedia to the
> side in favor of more complex solutions and vendors).
>
> So why would I want to use CAM templates over SQL
> stored queries and merge-laden scripted functions?

Speculative answer: it's easier to merge multiple layers of XML
templates together (based on some predictable hierarchy of hierarchies)
than it is to let multiple organizations specify their view of the world
in SQL.  Or, building graphs to describe documents is easer in XML than
in SQL.