   RE: [xml-dev] Are people really using Identity constraints specified in

Roger,

I don't buy into any of this layering of constraints!!

Look here - its 2004 going on 2005 and we're still all thinking like COBOL
programmers.  COBOL had copybooks, C had .h files and structs, and Java has
similar, and now XML is supposed to have XSD.  You can add EDI to the list
too.

It's bogus IMHO.

The real way forward is to put *context* front and center.  Context drives and
is at the heart of the constraint checking - and being able to manage this and
make it scalable.  This is what we've learned from EDI especially, and then the
ebXML phase 1.

Therefore you need to centralize your constraint information and make it so that
you have a unified controlling mechanism.

Notice we already heard about a government proejct with three different
definitions of the same thing based on context.  And what hurts them is that
they do not have those centralized in a registry that can be managed.

So - in ebXML phase 2 here - we're adding context. Starting with BPSS V2 - you
can manage this and propogate it - and especially down into the process steps
of a BPM - so that tools like CAM can use that context to determine the
constraints that apply directly.

As we've already learned - there's no such thing as an immutable constraint.

But in CAM you can separate things into inline predicates that come with an
included base reference structure, and then override or augments those with
context driven rules / and / or you can pull rules from a registry of
definitions.

Essentially what you have is a holistic way to tailor this to your environment -
but one where the context is not embedded and hidden into source code and
back-end programs - but is exposed, visible and dynamic - up front and across
the whole integration space.

In the CAM tutorial you'll find a slide that quotes from 1623 and when they were
putting the first dictionaries together - having invented the printing press -
they understood about context and meaning back then - but we're still only just
figuring out how to make markup effectively manage this - 400 years further
on!

Cheers, DW