   RE: [xml-dev] Are people really using Identity constraints specified in

Bruce,

Unfortunately schema was never intended to perform that role!

Not the least because it has no context driven mechanisms.

Apart from that - way too many people think it can do this 'magic' because it
has been over sold - well beyond the original requirements the W3C started
from.

We started off with a DTD - simple mission to describe the structure
permutations of an XML instance.  XSD then subsumed that role.  Snag is neither
is able to deliver fully.  It's all to easy to create an XML instance, or set
of instances, that look perfectly reasonable and straightforward that is darn
hard to then describe in schema.

I'm reminded of the situation in England in the 1500's - when Latin was still
the official legal language of law - but everyone uses English as the working
language. The solution beckons ; -)

DW.