   Re: [xml-dev] Which Will Be Released First, the W3C's XQuery Spec or Lon

* Liam Quin wrote:
>> If that helps to remove the need to have "good access to the working
>> draft committee" and "telephoning the authors", could you explain why
>> you or W3C think that such a need exists at all and how these steps
>> help to remove it? It is not really clear to me.
>
>I don't understand your question here.  I made no claim that such a need
>existed.  What are you getting at?

I am trying to understand what you meant by

  We actually want people to be able to implement our specs from
  the specifications, rather than by telephoning the authors of the
  specifications...

It is, for example, not possible to implement a spec from the spec if
two parts of the specification contradict each other. The specification
would need to be changed in order to implement it. An implementer
typically does not have change control over the specification, so he
would need to contact some entity that has such change control to inform
them about the contradiction and ask for resolution of the conflict.
That would be "telephoning the authors". An example for such a case
would be

  http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-validator/2001JulSep/0019.html

which should be sufficient to demonstrate the existence of this need.
You are saying that W3C wants that people are able to implement W3C
specifications from the spec without contacting the authors to resolve
conflicts. That would require that implementers do not encounter such
conflicts. My question is which specific steps W3C intends to make to
achieve that and how these steps are meant to help. Assuming that you
had something specific in mind here.