   Re: [xml-dev] After XQuery, are we done?

Agreed.

It's also worth noting that linking isn't just about getting you from
this Web page to that. Lots of XML schemas have links in them -- XSD
comes to mind -- but there is no way to know that these are links
without knowing the language. More widespread adoption of XLink (or
another linking language) would also make it more feasible to support
links in native XML databases.

I also agree that binary XML has a relatively bright future. Once JSR
225 (XQuery API for Java) is finalized, there's going to be a lot of XQJ
driver implementers looking for faster wire protocols for transmitting
XML from the database to the client. Like it or not -- and I'm not sure
where I sit yet -- binary XML is faster and smaller than real XML.

-- Ron