   Re: [xml-dev] Whacky XML editor in Intellij IDEA

On Sat, 30 Oct 2004 18:16:07 -0400, Elliotte Harold
<elharo@metalab.unc.edu> wrote:
> Michael Champion wrote:
>

> > Which specification says that namespace names MUST  be syntactically
> > correct absolute URIs?
>
> The Infoset:
>
> XML  documents that do not conform to [Namespaces],

Interesting ... I thought I had recalled  that the namespace name
definition referenced the URI spec in a non-normative way (essentially
as I way to generate unique strings), but I tuned out of this argument
in about 2001.  I guess there is still the anomaly that if namespace
names MUST obey URI syntax, it is very odd that they don't obey URI
comparison semantics.  Sigh.

"Premature optimization is the root of all evil" - C.A.R. Hoare
"Premature standardization is the soil the root lives in" - me.
<duck>