   RE: [xml-dev] dynamically generated XML Schema?! Re: [xml-dev] R: [xml-d

No, I don't mean "its meaning".

XSD specifies two distinct things: an abstract data model and an "XML representation".  A "Schema" (as used in the Rec) is not an XML document.  It is a collection of abstract "schema components", such as element declarations, simple/complex type definitions, attribute declarations, etc.

Validity assessment is specified in terms of those abstract schema components, not in terms of <complexType> elements and the like.  The Rec says that the abstract schema components may be represented in XML but don't have to.

In a sense, XSD is a language with no inherent syntax (or with a pluggable syntax if you wish).  The "XML representation" is one possible syntax, but the Rec does not mandate its use.  The Rec explicitly allows the use of other syntaxes or other (non-syntactical) means to build a representation of the schema components in memory.

See the conformance clause (2.4) of the Rec.  Conformance has three levels, and you can be conformant ("minimally conformant") without implementing the XML representation at all.

The following Note in the conformance clause is interesting:

Note: By separating the conformance requirements relating to the concrete syntax of XML schema documents, this specification admits processors which use schemas stored in optimized binary representations, dynamically created schemas represented as programming language data structures, or implementations in which particular schemas are compiled into executable code such as C or Java. Such processors can be said to be ˇminimally conformingˇ but not necessarily in ˇconformance to the XML Representation of Schemasˇ.

But the whole clause 2 "Conceptual Framework" is interesting as well.

***

The X.694 standard took the approach of mapping from the abstract Schema of XSD to the target language (ASN.1).  The prior mapping from the schema documents to the Schema is handled by the XSD Rec, and does not need to be re-specified in another standard.

Alessandro