   Re: [xml-dev] Simplify XML Now?

/ "cr88192" <cr88192@hotmail.com> was heard to say:

[...]
| I feel a little unsure of merging in qnames, and his proposed syntax
| was just ugly. others were proposing overloading '&'. at least this
| looks better imo, but seems to solve one issue with another.

Yeah, & is better.

| I think someone else suggested using '%'.

I was trying specifically not to add a new metacharacter. Adding a new
metacharacter has the potential to break a lot of existing documents.
I was explicitly trying to avoid that.

| probably %% could be used as an escaped form of %.

That'd be very non-XML. &perc; would seem more palatable. We don't
need a new paradigm for escaping, IMHO.

| &:prefix:name;
| imo, could make sense for a kind of entity.
| entities could be namespace qualified like everything else, and if the
| app doesn't recognize a character's namespace, it is sol, and will
| have to deal with it somehow (the box character comes to mind).
| ok, so the parser sees this, and possibly resolves the mark to some
| specific character (eg: internally parts of the character space could
| be defined dynamically), and inserts that character in place of the
| original mark, or failing that, inserts some default.

In my ramblings, &:prefix:name; was not an entity, it was a QName.
Yes, you could use QNames for entities (in fact, I've implemented it
in XSLT 2.0 and may write a SAX filter to do it, just for fun) but
they're also used in XPath expressions and other places where they
aren't macros of any kind.

| I would personally just rather stick with the predefined ones. custom
| entities are probably necessary somehow, oh well.

Yep.

                                        Be seeing you,
                                          norm

--