   Re: [xml-dev] Re: Hostility to "binary XML" (was Re: [xml-dev] XML2004 w

Robin Berjon wrote:

> Michael Champion wrote:
>
>> FWIW, the show-stopper argument in a number of discussions at XML 2004
>> that I heard against the idea that "XML text is ubiquitous, don't mess
>> with it" was from the wireless people:  XML is NOT ubiquitous in our
>> world, because of the excessive bandwidth requirements.  Our technical
>> constraints are fundamental and not going away anytime soon, so don't
>> expect Moore's Law to make everything alright the way it has made
>> convenient but inefficient approaches work on the desktop and on the
>> server.  On othe other hand, we desperately want the tools and
>> standardization that XML offers, just not that verbose serialization.
>> We could write a standard for our industry, but we want *one*
>> internet, not a wired one and a wireless one."

i don't understand the reluctance on the moore's law business. we have
wireless because of moore's law and if you look at mobile phone over the
last few years, and batteries, and device convergence, there's at least
anectdotal evidence that moore's law is very much alive and well. now
think of what you expect in your mobile device in the next 18 months....

my first mobile was the size of an eyeglass case and worked for only a
few hours without recharging. now it lasts for days and has a camera,
pda, etc is 25% the size, 15% the weight, and still makes phone calls!

the main thing that is not subject to moore's law is impatience :)

rick
begin:vcard
fn:Rick  Marshall
n:Marshall;Rick