   RE: [xml-dev] Web Services/SOA (was RE: [xml-dev] XML 2004 weblog items?

I believe they are, though some consider this a
separate-but-related-to-SOA concept. I believe Gartner has a concept
called Event Driven Architectures (EDA), which - if I recall correctly
since reading up on it months ago - they consider as another
architectural style (i.e. apart from SOA), but related.

In essence, the invocation of a service is an event in and of itself -
for example, the receipt of a purchase order by a supplier that is using
Web Services in a SOA can trigger the processing of the purchase order
and (if all goes well) the creation and transmission of an invoice. So
the events here would be the receipt of the purchase order, the
validation of the purchase order, etc.

Kind Regards,
Joseph Chiusano
Booz Allen Hamilton
Strategy and Technology Consultants to the World