   Re: [xml-dev] Web Services/SOA - on SOA, and EDA and other TLAs.

IMHO...

EDA (event-driven architecture) does not imply SOA (Service-oriented architecture).
SOA does not require EDA.
EDA can be useful to implement parts of the SOA.
SOA just requires people to follow the rules expressed in the service contract (and thus, tools to make it easier to follow those rules are nice to have).

more details..

IMO, an IT architecture is all about providing the constraints for IT organizations to deliver working software, whether it is during development, testing, production, maintenance.

In an SOA, the constraints are that every software components' interface is described in a unique language and published in some central location. XML and XML Schema just happens to be good enough technologies to get the job done, particularly in massively heterogeous environments.

Of course, in a real project, you want to add more constraints than that, for instance security contraints, transactional constraints, semantic constraints, etc., but this is currently left to IT architects, although they can pick from WS-* specs but then suffer interoperability issues that SOA was supposed to solve...

On the other hand, the notion of Event-Driven Architecture implies to me an architecture where you have:
- events,
- a dispatcher (which may produce events themselves, for instance alerts)
- and event handlers (which may produce events themselves).

Of course, SOA does not require EDA and EDA does not imply SOA, but EDA could be a nice part of an SOA, for instance, IMO, in terms of monitoring (they call it BAM - Business Activity Monitoring), so I would follow Jason Bloomberg of ZapThink on this: EDA is not opposed to SOA, but rather included into SOA.(1)

I think the most important thing about SOA is that languages and platforms don't matter anymore, so you can choose the implementation language that fits best the requirements, as long as it satisfies the service contract.

(1) http://www.zapthink.com/report.html?id=ZAPFLASH-06092004

Guillaume Lebleu
Brixlogic