   Re: [xml-dev] Data streams

From: "Stephen E. Beller" <sbeller@nhds.com>
> There is an elegant solution, which involves using CSV data in novel ways,
> but it's a proprietary process and this is not the right venue to discuss
> it.

Ah, so now we get to the point.  Why has this thread sounded like the slow
build-up to a sales pitch for something else?  Because it is?  Replete with
patent claims no less.

That perhaps precisely indicates why using XML is better in the long run:
it's not proprietary.  Of course, neither was CSV but in this race down the
rabbit hole of silly arguments who cares?

> Anyway, if there's any need for axe grinding, it would be to sharpen the
> business case depicting when XML or alternatives are best suited to a
> particular situation ...

To serve whose ends?  While there may well be fora suited for such
discussions I'm not certain this is one of them.

> a one solution fits all perspective only cuts off
> one's nose despite one's face.

I don't think anyone here is making or has made that claim for XML.  Mainly
because it'd be silly.

What next, railing against using unicode?

-Bill Kearney