   Re: [xml-dev] XML Economics was: Re: [xml-dev] Data streams

On Tue,  7 Dec 2004 22:30:55 +1100, david.lyon@computergrid.net
<david.lyon@computergrid.net> wrote:

> Those that use csv files will never need to upgrade
> their processors... hard disks.. or network links..
>
> those that use xml will always be spending money
> on more powerful gear....
>
> and if we all spend enough then one day we might
> achieve nirvana - the processing speed of the
> original 20mhz 80386.....

On the off chance that someone reading this might take this post
seriously, I have a (rhetorical) question: when those people using CSV
files need to build a set of hierarchical related data sets do you
think that the sponsoring entities money is better spent supporting
legions of developers hand coding tree building and parsing algorithms
from scratch or should they instead upgrade to a new CPU that can run
off the shelf widely supported commodity software?  Given the year
over year increase in developer costs and the year over year decline
in hardware costs I think the answer is obvious...

--
Peter Hunsberger