   Re: [xml-dev] XML Economics was: Re: [xml-dev] Data streams

On Tue, 7 Dec 2004 19:02:04 +0400 (AMT), David Tolpin
<dvd@davidashen.net> wrote:
> > off the shelf widely supported commodity software?  Given the year
> > over year increase in developer costs and the year over year decline
> > in hardware costs I think the answer is obvious...
>
> Why, in your opinion, the developer costs rise so fast? Is it because
> software tools are getting more complicated? The problems computers
> solve don't change over the years significantly; they are almost the
> same as were twenty years ago.

David, are you being serious?

It's not clear that developer costs are rising any faster than any
other people costs. People costs go up year over year and I don't
think I need to go into why here!

If developer costs are rising faster than other people costs I'd
hazard a guess as follows:  it is simply the fact that in order to
stay completive organizations must automate; more competition for the
scarce resource (developers) is going to raise the cost of that
resource...

IOW; I would argue that the problems computers solve are different
than 20 years ago: 20 years ago I couldn't put a computer in every mom
and pop business that wants one...

--
Peter Hunsberger