   Re: [xml-dev] Data streams

>On Tue, Dec 07, 2004 at 02:35:46PM -0500, tedd wrote:
>>  This file compressed down to 4.7 Megs in a zip file, which I believe
>>  uses a Huffman compression technique.
>
>Note that "zip" (also known as pkzip) and "gzip" (GNU zip) use
>different compression methods.  It's gzip that's generally used with
>XML -- zip stores the filename and other metadata at the end of the
>file, which doesn't stream very well.
>
>Try, for example, gzip -9 on your file.
>
>Liam

Liam:

I thank you for the clarification -- I was aware of the different
names for zip.

The point I was making was that the compression technique is based
upon Huffman encoding, which it is -- please review:
http://www.gzip.org/algorithm.txt

I had thought so, considering that I translated it to another
language several years ago to add functionality to an application I
was working on at the time.

As for trying "gzip -9" on my file, I work in the Mac environment and
commonly use Stuff-It for all my compressions -- so that option is
unfamiliar to me.

tedd
http://sperling.com/