   Re: [xml-dev] XPath and XPattern (was Re: [xml-dev] More on taming SAX)

* Jeff Rafter <lists@jeffrafter.com> [2004-12-24 10:29]:
> >Then people could read up on it, rather than post messages like "I
> >heard through the grapevine that predicates generally don't work with
> >streaming". Then again, I suppose, it's fun to do analysis from
> >scratch. Ah well, whatever it is, it'll be good to see streaming
> >processors!
>
> I said what I said after reading the latest STX spec and only in the
> context of this discussion (which is "taming SAX"). I have to agree with
> Uche in saying that STXPath is very nice-- but may not be exactly what
> we are shooting for. Surely predicates are viable in many cases in
> partial scans such as:
>
> <foo>
>   <bar>
>     <baz/>
>   </bar>
>   <bar test="foo">
>     <baz/>
>   </bar>
> </foo>
>
> /foo/bar[@test="foo"]/baz
>
> But when considering /foo/bar[baz3="test"]/baz1
>
> <foo>
>   <bar>
>     <baz1/>
>     <baz2/>
>     <baz3>test</baz3>
>   </bar>
> </foo>
>
> This predicate's value cannot be ascertained at the point of the baz1
> startElement event in a single event look ahead model. At least that is
> what I heard through the grapevine.

    I was wondering...

    Say the test was /foo/bar/[baz2="test"]/baz1

    <foo>
      <bar>
        <baz1/>
        <baz2>test</baz2>
        <baz3/>
      </bar>
    </foo>

    If your schema stated that the children were (baz1,baz2,baz3)
    wouldn't you have enough information to know to surrender when
    you reached baz3?

--
Alan Gutierrez - alan@engrm.com