   Re: [xml-dev] XPath and XPattern (was Re: [xml-dev] More on tamingSAX)

> Then people could read up on it, rather than post messages like "I
> heard through the grapevine that predicates generally don't work with
> streaming". Then again, I suppose, it's fun to do analysis from
> scratch. Ah well, whatever it is, it'll be good to see streaming
> processors!

I said what I said after reading the latest STX spec and only in the
context of this discussion (which is "taming SAX"). I have to agree with
Uche in saying that STXPath is very nice-- but may not be exactly what
we are shooting for. Surely predicates are viable in many cases in
partial scans such as:

<foo>
   <bar>
     <baz/>
   </bar>
   <bar test="foo">
     <baz/>
   </bar>
</foo>

/foo/bar[@test="foo"]/baz

But when considering /foo/bar[baz3="test"]/baz1

<foo>
   <bar>
     <baz1/>
     <baz2/>
     <baz3>test</baz3>
   </bar>
</foo>

This predicate's value cannot be ascertained at the point of the baz1
startElement event in a single event look ahead model. At least that is
what I heard through the grapevine.

Jeff Rafter