   Re: [xml-dev] performant templating language for XML

Nathan Young wrote:

> The most likely contender has ended up being: pre-render the main
> contents  using XSLT on the docs within the content management system
> and cache and  serve up the results.  In conjunction have a lightweight
> run time  templating language to do navigation, authentication, and
> other aspects of  UE that need run time processing.

This is what we do. The CMS generates XHTML/JSPs putting together
everything except what needs to be dynamic. For runtime the JSPs get
precompiled. At runtime we use a servlet filter that wraps the response
before hitting the XHTML/JSP (the JSPs generate XHTML). After hitting
the page a simple transformation renders the output stream back to the
client. We use the XSL to get valid XHTML output that plays well in all
browsers (clients *are* asking for XHTML).

The transformation is basically an identity transform with a few basic
parameters passed in, for example the user name and the user's current
L&F. This way, many pages that would have to be dynamic can be simple,
well-formed HTML. We use Caucho's Resin servlet container -- it has a
compiling XSL processor which transforms very fast (you can probably do
the same thing with Tomcat and Xalan's XSLTC). I suppose this type of
transformation can be done with STX, but we have not had any performance
problems.

best,
-Rob