   Re: [xml-dev] Re: Streaming XML (WAS: More on taming SAX (was Re:[xml-de

On Thu, 2004-12-30 at 17:35 -0500, Alan Gutierrez wrote:
> * Uche Ogbuji <uche.ogbuji@fourthought.com> [2004-12-30 17:19]:
> > On Thu, 2004-12-30 at 21:54 +0000, Miles Sabin wrote:
> > > Uche Ogbuji wrote,
> > >
> > > If it doesn't that's a bug in the docs and should be fixed.
> > >
> > > The runtime nesting of SAX event callbacks mirrors the structure of the
> > > real or virtual document being parsed. Simultaneous events would imply
> > > superimposed nodes ... which ain't possible.
> >
> > I could buy this, but I don't see why I have to.  One could also claim
> > that the letter of SAX2 makes the way it's implemented in Python
> > illegal, but I suspect they would be rightly ignored.
> >
> > I don't see why a parallelized streaming architecture could not be
> > expressed in terms of SAX events.  Perhaps you could persuade me SAX
> > does not allow it, but I expect that this would be only by admitting to
> > precious and entirely unnecessary restrictions in the definition of SAX.
>
>     Uche
>
>     Are you talking about reading a document that is not stored in a
>     serial format?

Possibly.  There are many ways one could parallelize a SAX stream.  As
an example, let's take our wide document example from earlier (large
collection of address labels).

I can imagine a SAX impl sending multiple startElement('label') events
in parallel.

>     Miles
>
>     I don't get it. What's the big deal?

Well, to be fair, I've never heard of a SAX impl that uses any
parallelization.  Miles is right in that my point was entirely
theoretical (and to some extent rhetorical).  I do honestly expect,
however, for such theory to become practice in the programmer's
specialized toolkit earlier than it will in, say, XSLT or XQuery
implementations.

I think so in part because of real world practice in general-purpose
parallel processing, where I believe specialized applications far
outnumber those based on truly abstracted frameworks (PVM does not
qualify).

Use CSS to display XML - http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/edu/x-dw-x-xmlcss-i.html
Full XML Indexes with Gnosis - http://www.xml.com/pub/a/2004/12/08/py-xml.html
Be humble, not imperial (in design) - http://www.adtmag.com/article.asp?id=10286