   Re: [xml-dev] The Airplane Example (was Re: [xml-dev] Streaming XML)

* Benjamin Franz <snowhare@nihongo.org> [2004-12-31 15:24]:
> On Fri, 31 Dec 2004, Michael Kay wrote:
>
> >>By the end of this century, I will be amazed if you will
> >>still be able to call yourself a 'software engineer/progammer' without a
> >>legally mandated certification, license and professional standards.

    [snip areospace]

> >Worse still, no one knows how to objectively distinguish good
> >programmers from bad programmers. Any such licensing mechanism is
> >likely to descend into a "Microsoft-Certified" farce.

> Maybe. Or it may rise to the level of the other licensed professions where
> you can be confident of a minimum level of competency. You don't usually
> wonder whether a doctor is qualified to be a doctor.

    Oh, my. My, oh, my.

    You must have a sparkling health plan, my friend, because in has
    been my experience with medicine, especially, that has taught me
    the meaning of Caveat Emptor.

    Hmm... Maybe if you'd used lawyers as an example.

--
Alan Gutierrez - alan@engrm.com