   Re: [xml-dev] The Airplane Example (was Re: [xml-dev] Streaming XML)

On Fri, 31 Dec 2004, Alan Gutierrez wrote:

>    You must have a sparkling health plan, my friend, because in has
>    been my experience with medicine, especially, that has taught me
>    the meaning of Caveat Emptor.

It could be worse. When licensing of doctors was abolished in the US in
the mid-1800's it _was_ worse:

<URL:http://www.cl.utoledo.edu/canaday/quackery/quack2.html>
<URL:http://www.cl.utoledo.edu/canaday/quackery/quack10.html>

And I would contend that the current HMO led fiasco's are an example of a
return to the practice of medicine by the unlicensed: HMO's are not
required to have licensed doctors make their treatment 'allowed/not
allowed' decisions nor are they legally liable for bad decisions beyond
the cost of the denied treatment. Not even if you die because of it.

>    Hmm... Maybe if you'd used lawyers as an example.

Hmmm...

--
Benjamin Franz

"All right, where is the answer? The battle of wits has begun.
It ends when you click and we both serve pages - and find out who is right,
and who is slashdotted." - David Brandt