   Re: [xml-dev] An unclear point with W3C XML 1.0 Specification

From: <david.lyon@computergrid.net>
> Well, it can be important in a business context. People in
> business don't have unlimited time. If a pricelist or any
> document takes too long to load up... they'll simply
> give the ctrl-alt-delete and give up. They have no love
> for the computers, I can assure you.

And there's a technical question in there, where?  If you want to carp about
user expectations and developer failure to manage them this is probably not
the right mailing list.

> Yes, but let me digress. I once worked in a company where any
> technical question was answered by "go debug the source code".
> Man, that was a hard place to work.
> In a business enterprise, you just can't work like that anymore.

See prior comment.

> Usually there's no source code, and these days the programmers
> are in India and the call centre is in a difference province
> entirely. And all you want to know is why your payment hasn't
> been processed....
>
> So keeping the logic in the code isn't very attractive in 2005..

In your race to the bottom of the economic barrel, what you WISH the code
did or didn't possess doesn't change the realities.

> There might not be any code to process the document. What if there
> are elements for which no code exist? Not every business can afford
> the money to have coded the processing of every data element from
> every business that it deals with.. It's not a perfect world just
> yet...

Well, you go tilt for those windmills Quixote.  Business logic continues to
require code.  A great many efforts have come and gone in the quest to do
otherwise yet the code remains a necessary evil.

-Bill Kearney