   Re: [xml-dev] The Airplane Example (was Re: [xml-dev] Streaming XML)

Bullard, Claude L (Len) wrote:
> How many functions does your vintage watch support?

> I asked for a watch and she bought me a virtual
> computer to wear on the arm.  It lasted less
> than two years.  I told her, "No a watch.  It
> has two hands with a second sweep and no, it
> doesn't have to tell me day and month."  She
> bought me a Timex.  It's still on my arm ticking
> a decade later.

I'm with Karl and Len. I received a mechanical chronometer last year
from my family. It's hands down the finest object I have ever had, and I
fully expect it will outlast me. It serves a constant reminder about
simplicity and robustness. Paul Graham said once that you can buy a more
accurate and functionful modern watch for the fraction of the cost of a
something like a mechanical chronometer. I think that's true, but it's
also missing the point in some thing like the way meat market IT and
tools-will-save-us arguments miss the point.

cheers
Bill