   Re: [xml-dev] XPattern Specification

* Karl Waclawek <karl@waclawek.net> [2005-01-18 09:05]:
> Petr Cimprich wrote:
>
> >Perhaps, XPattern could be limited to the first step, as of now. We want
> >a common syntax for patterns to match against streams of events
> >representing XML documents. Once you have a match, you can replace,
> >insert, run templates, callbacks, whatever.

> Exactly - the old separation of concerns.

    Can't we think about how we'd use the langauge? Taking about
    what we want to scratch out of XPath is jumping the gun.

    I don't want to have you think that I'm suggesting an STX or
    XUpdate like language, so much as I am considering applications.

    If you don't consider the applications in designing the
    langauge, you are not going to have a terribly useful langauge.

    If XPattern is considered analogous to XPath, less all but the
    ancstor axis, I don't think it would really make for a stream
    pattern matching langauge.

    As I noted elsewhere, there is a notion in XPath, that of joins,
    that might not apply to XPattern. In stream processing there is
    a notion of capturing data.

    If we keep talking about axis, then we are going to talk about a
    subset of XPath, and materializing and releasing trees, which
    sounds like an XQuery opimization, or an obvious subset of
    XPath, not needing a new language.

--
Alan Gutierrez - alan@engrm.com