   Re: [xml-dev] Even if you're not ... was If you're going to the W3C meet

On Fri, Jan 28, 2005 at 01:07:03PM -0500, David Lyon wrote:
> On Thursday 27 January 2005 08:18 pm, Liam Quin wrote:
>> On Fri, Jan 28, 2005 at 10:58:17AM -0500, David Lyon wrote:
>>> Interesting to hear about W3C meetings....
>>> in the real world it's:
>>>    http://www.sciencemag.org/cgi/content/full/297/5585/1259
>>
>> Interesting to hear you think W3C isn't in the "real world" --
>> are we perceived as too academic (by you at least) or do
>> we ocupy some alternate universe? :-)
>
> Hey... don't argue with me, I know I'm crazy....

:-)

> but no one doubts that the W3C is a very respectable organisation..
>
> I imagine that there is no food throwing... and no one brings mud or sand
> through the doors on their shoes.... what more could anyone want?

Actually I don't usually wear shoes at all.

> but are small business and big business alternate universes? yes
> they are...

I think that the majority of our Members are businesses, and further
that most of those are smaller rather than larger, althoug we
certainly have some very large organizations who participate.

> Is Industrial America different than industrial Asia ? yes.
Here we do agree.

> Does India have much xml for all its programmers ? no.
We don't charge for XML by the tag :-)  I know of quite a few
XML programming teams in India, although statistically I've no idea
what percentage it is of course.  XML isn't itself a programming
language of course, although XSLT blurs the distinction, so the
question is how many of them are consciously working with XML
(rather than, say, using a graphical desktop that stores preferences
or window themes in XML, not uncommon these days).

> What does this mean ? That you guys are so pre-occupied with
> the APIs that you're not really working on better ways to use
> what you have got.....
Strictly speaking we don't do APIs (the DOM is about as close as
we get, but even that is largely defined in a language-independent
way) but you may be right that we spend too much time building and
not enough time living.

Thanks for replying.

Liam

http://www.holoweb.net/~liam/