   Re: [xml-dev] Even if you're not ... was If you're going to the W3C meet

Interesting to hear about W3C meetings....

in the real world it's:

   http://www.sciencemag.org/cgi/content/full/297/5585/1259

and fortunately for people living in the U.S, the Indian IT
workers will be given preference.....

http://www.infoworld.com/article/05/01/07/HNhivisasincrease_1.html

I too have great respect for the Indian programmers that I've come
accross in my career. They are dedicated and I'm sure that without
them xml wouldn't have been able to have been implemented in
nearly every language.... let me just list some..

 - TCL (bizzarre language, now has xml.. )
 - Visual Basic, Delphi..
 - Perl, python
 - Java, C, C++
 - any language ActiveX
 - nearly every other language..

yet, at the same time, the amount of use of xml in business seems
if anything to be declining....  in a typical industrial area, Sydney,
Germany, UK, there isn't a lot of practical use of xml..

and of course I could go into some of those reasons..

but there does seem to be a slight mismatch between the young
people coming out of university that know the xml, who  are
faced with the dilemma of having great difficulty getting an "IT"
job in a business setting.

I know lots of graduates who have been taught xml, but refuse
to even look for jobs in smaller companies who could use xml
because they don't believe the opportunities are there.

Then, they have difficulty getting an IT job and just go off and
work in a service station or drive a taxi for even less money..

So expectations have a lot to do with xml... what the expectations
are... who the target market is.... what problems xml is best to
solve....

My personal expectations for xml are that it gets used in every
small or medium sized enterprise in the world in some
electronic commerce oriented capacity.

There is scope for that, but you have to descend to the
SME level and look from their perspective...

Getting xml to work in that setting means that you have to
break with some of the conventions and lay aside rules that
apply to xml and structured data that hold when you are
working in larger organisations.

In the "good ol' days" of xml, it was simple and a normal
person could kindof half understand it. Now it's very
complicated. Too many (very) clever people have added
to it so that it's inherent simplicity (and reliability) seems
to have got lost somewhere.

Good thing about Australia where I live is that there are businesses
with enough money to through at developing software outside of the
square. Most of them haven't even heard of xml anyway. The
only xml that one sees is on the occassional number plate
driving around somewhere.

My guess is that as the complexity of xml (and qualifications required to
use it) increases, the amount of real world usage will decline.

People in Small businesses don't have phds. xml is just advancing
into something that leaves the general business community just
thinking "what was that all about...."

and it's very hard for a business to justify any xml expenditure the
way that it is... any practical use is limited and it shouldn't be that way.

not meaning to offend here - this is just xml as I see it...

David