   RE: [xml-dev] Even if you're not ... was If you're going to theW3C meeti

At 9:03 am +0000 28/1/05, Michael Kay wrote:
> > yet, at the same time, the amount of use of xml in business seems
>> if anything to be declining....  in a typical industrial
>> area, Sydney,
>> Germany, UK, there isn't a lot of practical use of xml..
>
>I don't believe for a minute that the IT director of a large company can
>measure how much XML is being used within his own organization, so as far as
>I'm concerned, anyone who thinks they can assess the level of use in a given
>country is making wild guesses and is almost certainly wrong.
>
>Let's see some metrics, for example downloads of open source software, job
>advertisements.
>
>Everyone who files their tax return online in the UK does so using XML. How
>many such examples would persuade you that there is a lot of practical use
>of XML in the UK?

Indeed - the e-Government Unit (a part of the UK Cabinet Office) is
forecasting that 96% of UK Govt services will be available electronically
by the end of 2005 (the figure stood at 75% last October). In all cases
of transactional services it is XML that is exchanged (except for a few
business-oriented legacy EDI services).

Take-up is another issue of course, but it is rising across the board -
the personal tax return service that Michael refers to has been running
for over four years now and take-up is doubling year-on-year (with nearly
25% of all those required to file now doing it electronically).
--

Andy Greener                         Mob: +44 7836 331933
GID Ltd, Reading, UK                 Tel: +44 118 956 1248