   Re: [xml-dev] on-the-wire xml ... Even if you're ...

Michael,

On Friday 28 January 2005 04:03 am, Michael Kay wrote:

> anyone who thinks they can assess the level of use in a
> given country is making wild guesses and is almost certainly wrong.

Ok, but making sweeping generalisations like I do and then
arguing them over beer is often more fun than being right :-)

Actually, I have to revise my original generalisation or at least
clarify it somewhat.

XML use is slowly increasing, yes. So anybody selling xml
products would see more interest in them, of course.

My revised generalisation is that transmitted xml on-the-wire
is not growing that fast, or as fast as one would expect.

One customer just this week, needs to get xml working
between the web site and quick-books. It's not coming
from the customer.. just an in-house transfer...

Where there are xml transmitting applications, most seem to
replace apps that previously existed which did exactly the
same thing. ie tax apps. Online tax applications have existed
for years, now they transmit in xml. Is that a new application?
or just a rewrite of an old one.

Let's move onto xml in accounting. Quickbooks can support
xml. Xml can be used to "load" and "read" data in and out
of the products.

But widespread on-the-wire use of xml from one accounting
system to the other isn't popular as far as I know.

Therefore the product "has" xml, but I would argue doesn't "use"
it in an on-the-wire sense.

And in thousands of small businesses, very few that I
have seen (ok - limited vision) have on-the-wire xml.

If xml doesn't need to be like this then fine. I'll admit
being sold the wrong idea.

I still subscribe to the vision of getting all the Small businesses
out there, who have this outragiously powerful hardware and
communications bandwidth to be able to really stress the
xml parsers to the max... and I just don't believe this is
happening yet....

Ok, I waste my time doing doing multi-connection xml
protocols. Developing multi-processing xml search engines
and stuff - why? I don't think xml is developed to the max
quite yet. I still think there is much further to go with the
stuff. When I say not used, I probably mean not used to
the max.... and I think it will take some time for me to
be convinced otherwise no matter how "wrong" I may
seem on the face of it.

David

Computergrid : The ones with the most connections win.