   Re: [xml-dev] on-the-wire xml ... Even if you're ...

At 10:18 pm -0500 28/1/05, David Lyon wrote:
>XML use is slowly increasing, yes. So anybody selling xml
>products would see more interest in them, of course.
>
>My revised generalisation is that transmitted xml on-the-wire
>is not growing that fast, or as fast as one would expect.

Doubling of take-up year-on-year (for UK tax returns) is not
too shabby...

>Where there are xml transmitting applications, most seem to
>replace apps that previously existed which did exactly the
>same thing. ie tax apps. Online tax applications have existed
>for years, now they transmit in xml. Is that a new application?
>or just a rewrite of an old one.

Not in the UK - there was/is a "legacy" EDI service operated
exclusively by agents but it is small and static, and in any case
less than 50% of UK taxpayers who are required to file are
represented by an agent. The majority didn't have an electronic
means of submission until the XML-based service came along.

>Let's move onto xml in accounting. Quickbooks can support
>xml. Xml can be used to "load" and "read" data in and out
>of the products.
>
>But widespread on-the-wire use of xml from one accounting
>system to the other isn't popular as far as I know.

Watch out for the XBRL ground-swell....

--

Andy Greener                         Mob: +44 7836 331933
GID Ltd, Reading, UK                 Tel: +44 118 956 1248