   Re: [xml-dev] Even if you're not ... was If you're going to the W3Cmeeti

Kurt Cagle wrote:

> I've also found that many employers have stopped listing XML in their
> advertisements, not because they don't need that skill, but because
> they assume that working with XML is something that you should just
> know if you work with most computer languages.

These employers may be overly optimistic. Last night I gave an advanced
XML presentation to a large audience of uber-geek Linux folks. Based on
post-talk discussion, I suspect only about 30-40% were reasonably
conversant with XML prior to that evening. If I'd realized that in
advance I would have pitched the talk at a slightly lower level. It's
certainly true that XML is more broadly understood in the community than
it was five years ago. However, I don't think it's yet reached the level
of ubiquity of C or Java.