   Re: [xml-dev] on-the-wire xml ... Even if you're ...

Rick,

On Friday 28 January 2005 06:53 pm, Rick Marshall wrote:
> at this stage xml is a core technology - you have no way of knowing how
> much is out there.

But this can be guestimated by talking to people and some organisations
have tried to quantify it.

Anyway, my great dispute isn't how much or little it is being used but
why it isn't being used in absolutely every business in an on-the-wire
manner that extends past the adsl router...

> right now we use xml for message exchange within the organisation (why -
> tools, data independence in face of a changing app, etc etc ) with
> thousands of messages a day moving between machines.

But you are advanced Rick... and you have fun with these things
and are a clever C programmer.

but your view of computer communications is based on messages
and transactions. That's the old school.

The new xml Grid view is where all the machines are nodes and the
data is spread. The transactions are deep.

and there's potential for a whole new world of "transaction types" that
have never even been imagined that you can do with a grid typology.

for example, do a product search for a "audi a4 bumper" but all the
machines/merchants receive the search text. Everybody receives
everything that everybody searches for.

> soon our point of sale systems will be using xml for continuous real
> time updates - then the transaction rate over hundreds of shops will
> reach very high rates.

That's cool. It's always cool seeing lots of transactions.

My old time favourite was doing it with 14,400 baud modems. In a legal
company I did a system for longtime back, every modem sync tone
would give us ten dollars. I grew to love the sound of those mode modems
and never turned the sound down.

> can we stress the technology? not yet. does it keep up in real time?
> well and truly.

For you it does. But every time I go into a small business and see
the proprietors keying in a supplier invoice at the front counter it churns
my heart. I think how bad is that.

> why is it so important? grids or otherwise, the future is message
> exchange and xml, warts and all, is by far the best most general way to
> do it. it has the standards, the tools. performance and functionality
> improve every day. all it lacks is gloss.

Well exactly. Doing these xml transactions in a grid topology adds
a heck of a lot of gloss. Business is sick of these year or two xml
development stories. They want something quick.... Everybody needs
a new fad every now or again or else they get extremely bored.

I've been grateful to all of the companies that have provided a fad
here and there that I could earn a dollar from. I don't see why xml
grids should be any different.

David

--
Computergrid : The ones with the most connections win.