   Re: [xml-dev] Even if you're not ... was If you're going to the W3C meet

* Kurt Cagle <kurt.cagle@gmail.com> [2005-01-28 14:17]:
> > But I do agree. I, as participant of the KDE project, think I see a general
> > resistance and misunderstanding towards XML. When an XML document needs a
> > small, automated correction it's not written as an XSLT identity transform,
> > but as a text-parsing Perl script, obviously horrible.
>
> Ouch. I've actually started doing something with XUL - bundling small
> (helper) XSLT classes in with the XUL code then putting a functional
> invocation on the transforms, in essence calling them as functions. In
> addition to simplifying a lot of the XML transactions that I work
> with, I find that it helps the XSLT newbies on my team get a better
> handle that XSLT really is just another computer language, one that
> can in fact be used in precisely the same manner as any other
> language.

    XSLT is really just another computer langauge, and I'm using it
    now to generate Ant scripts, and also to generate JUnit test
    cases. But, I'm running into a problem...

    How does one design in XSLT for extensibility? I know how to
    design an XML API, but not on in XSLT.

    I'm not sure how to ask the question. Let's say you have a file
    that's a project.

    <project>
      <source>
        <name>main</name>
        <dir>src/main</dir>
        <category>dist</category>
      </source>
    </project>

    Project directory:

      /project
          /src
              /java
              /resource

    Use the above to generate an Ant script. I run a transform and I
    have javac, junit, javadoc, jar, svn, and distrubute tasks.

    How do I allow a user to plug in a new set of tasks to generate?

    This is a general problem I'm having, how do you create hooks,
    callbacks, er, how do you create an XSLT framework?

--
Alan Gutierrez - alan@engrm.com