   RE: [xml-dev] What is coupling? [Was: 3 XML Design Principles]

Hey Joe,

>> The Assignment element connects the Lot and Picker.
>> ["Assignment" is not really the correct name.  Can someone
>> think of a better name?]

> Yes - Association.

Yes, I like that much better than Assignment.  Still, I am not quite
satisfied with Association.  It's such a general term.  Can we come up with
a name that is more specific, e.g.,

    <Lot-Picker-Association picker="John" lot="1"/>

Obviously, I really don't like that, but it is definitely more specific.

> I would assert that this is a semantic association, more than a semantic
> dependency. That is, the Picker can be removed from the lot (physically,
> in the real world) yet the lot will still remain. And vice-versa.

Good.  Should I use the term association instead of dependency?  Or, perhaps
there is a "physical dependency", and a "semantic association"?  /Roger