   Re: Re: [xml-dev] Constraints for nested elements; key and keyref

Hallo Henry, hallo all.

Thanks for your answer.
I changed my schema and added an attribute parentid to the element child.
Instantly a new question came up: How can I achieve it, that in one parent-element all parent-ids of the child elements are equal to
the parentid of the parent?
One approach that I found is listed below; it is an additional element parentid. But I don't like this additional element; is there a
possibility to do it without this element ?

Thanks in advance,

Erich

---- XML-Instance ----

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<root xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance"; xsi:noNamespaceSchemaLocation="Multikeys_v2.xsd">
	<parent parentid="1">
		<parentid parentid="1"/>
		<child parentid="1" childid="4711"/>
		<child parentid="1" childid="4712"/>
		<child parentid="1" childid="4713"/>
	</parent>
	<parent parentid="2">
		<parentid parentid="2"/>
		<child parentid="2" childid="4711"/>
		<child parentid="2" childid="4715"/>
	</parent>
	<refer>
		<parentRef parentRefId="1">
			<childRef  parentRefId="1" childRefId="4711"/>
		</parentRef>
		<parentRef parentRefId="2">
			<childRef  parentRefId="2" childRefId="4715"/>
		</parentRef>
	</refer>
</root>

Erich Andresen,                                              ea_6666@freenet.de

--- original Nachricht Ende ----

ea_6666@freenet.de writes:

> I have several elements named 'parent' with an attribute named
> 'parentid' and subelements 'child' also with an attribute
> 'childid'. My intention (first part) is that each child is unique
> with respect to the childid in his parent and each parent is unique
> with respect to his parentid in the root element. This can be done
> by the two keys 'childKey' and 'parentKey'.  The second part of my
> intention is to reference in an later section of the xml-file to the
> childs, like it is show below.  The problem is to describe an
> appropiate keyref.

Sensible design, sensible question, but can't be done with the XML as
described, sorry.  Chained keyrefs, which is what you need, are a
candidate requirement for a subsequent version.

Meantime, only way to win is to copy parentid on to all children, then
use two-part key and keyref.

ht
                     Half-time member of W3C Team
            Fax: (44) 131 650-4587, e-mail: ht@inf.ed.ac.uk