   RE: [xml-dev] What is coupling? [Was: 3 XML Design Principles]

>>> The Assignment element connects the Lot and Picker.
>>> ["Assignment" is not really the correct name.  Can someone
>>> think of a better name?]

>> Yes - Association.

> Yes, I like that much better than Assignment.  Still, I am not quite
> satisfied with Association.  It's such a general term.

Let me try to give a better explanation why I am uncomfortable with both
Assignment and Association.  Suppose that Association is used:

<Association picker="John" lot="1"/>

Consider the task of stating the relationship between the Picker and the
Lot.  How would you verbalize it?

   "The Picker is associated with the Lot"

What does that mean?  It's very vague, to the point of being meaningless.  I
want the relationship to be more specific, e.g.,

   "The Picker is located on the Lot"

Perhaps, then, I should use this:

<LocatedOn picker="John" lot="1"/>

Hmm, that doesn't seem right either.  Suggestions?  /Roger