   RE: [xml-dev] xml 2.0 - so it's on the way after all?

> > > Screen? We're talking about the 1960s.
> >
> > Are you saying xml is that old? I'd be interested any reading any
> > links about xml in the sixties...

Joan M. Smith, SGML and Related Standards, Ellis Horwood, 1992.

from Appendix A, A brief history...

"Many credit the start of the genric [sic] coding movement to a presentation
made by William Tunnicliffe, chairman of the Graphic Communications
Association (GCA) Composition Committee, during a meeting at the Canadian
Government Printing Office in September 1967: his topic - the separation of
the information content of documents from their format"

"In 1969 Charles Goldfarb was leading an IBM project... Together with Edward
Mosher and Raymond Lorie he invented the Generalized Markup Language..."

It's actually remarkable how many of the things we take for granted today
originated in the late 60s, including portable operating systems, object
oriented programming, relational databases, and GUI interfaces. Many of
these things took 20 years to become mainstream, XML took a little longer.
Others, like secure operating systems, still haven't made it, despite an
obvious requirement.

It's also amusing that Mosher and Lorie made it into XML but Goldfarb
didn't!

Michael Kay
http://www.saxonica.com/