   Re: [xml-dev] Re: Where does the "nothing left but toolkits" myth come f

The problem with writing to a news-list is that good arguments can
often sneak in under the radar as you're writing your response.

If you remove DTDs, you still need to have some mechanism that
replaces those DTDs with something else. XSD don't hack it - its
singularly poor at expressing those very things that people keep using
DTDs for. Relax-NG is a little closer, and personally would be
superior to both XSD and DTDs in that regard, especially once you
provide an alternate mechanism for entities.

I would be VERY careful about playing with preprocessors. I think this
was one of the problems that caused problems for both SGML and XML in
the first place. I have an intrinsic distrust of processing
instructions, as they by their very nature reduce portability of XML.
This has always been something that's bothered me about Microsoft
markup in particular - they LIKE PIs, even as the rest of the world
seems to have moved away from them.

I also think that for all that I would love to see CDATA sections
become ancient history, they are necessary - simply because a CDATA
section can (pretty safely) encapsulate text that has syntactical
markup, something that will be true regardless of what symbols are
used for denoting that section.  I should also point out that CDATA
sections become almost necessary when dealing with "unsafe" content -
XML wrappers holding blog feedbacks written by people who don't have
the first clue about why ampersands in text are bad for your
application, or for situations where you don't WISH for your XML to be
interpreted (such as examples given in a textbook). CDATA exists
because you need to have a way of escaping content from
interpretation.

Several years ago, there was a movement to "simplify" XML, with a lot
of mud being slung on both sides. Significantly, after a while, the
argument died away, because of the realization that any simplification
of XML reduced its use for others who found their core needs no longer
met. I think that by forking XML yet again, you run the risk of
marginalizing yourself with a use case that buys you some efficiency
gain for a limited set of applications at the cost of reducing
flexibility, despite the fact that it is that very flexibility that
makes XML so attractive for such a wide number of use cases.