   Re: [xml-dev] Re: Where does the "nothing left but toolkits" myth come f

Kurt,

On Sun, 6 Feb 2005 10:52:23 -0800, Kurt Cagle <kurt.cagle@gmail.com> wrote:
> I would be VERY careful about playing with preprocessors. I think this
> was one of the problems that caused problems for both SGML and XML in
> the first place. I have an intrinsic distrust of processing
> instructions, as they by their very nature reduce portability of XML.
> This has always been something that's bothered me about Microsoft
> markup in particular - they LIKE PIs, even as the rest of the world
> seems to have moved away from them.

    Can you elaborate a bit more about this? What are the problems
that you are referring to? Also, I dont understand how PI's can reduce
portability. It seems to me that PI's are intended to achieve the
opposite effect : if additional knowledge (than is visible to a basic
XML processor) is visible to an XML application specific processor,
then the PI serves as a signal to activate the application level
processor. This doesnt change any the semantics of the data w.r.t.
non-application specific data.

Thanks,
Kenneth