   Re: [xml-dev] Re: Where does the "nothing left but toolkits" mythcome fr

Michael Champion wrote:
> On Mon, 7 Feb 2005 22:03:31 -0500, David Lyon
> <david.lyon@computergrid.net> wrote:
>>. I can't
>>see running out of memory or hard-disk space anytime soon....
>
> You apparently don't work with small wireless devices.  It's 1995 all
> over again in that world - a couple of MB for your app to work with,
> 57.6 bps bandwidth to the outside world ...

Gee, you have that much on your wireless devices? You lucky you :)

> OK, OK, pretty soon we'll all walk around with 40GB combination
> cellphone / camera / music player that communicates via WiFi ... but
> then people will want to do this stuff with their wristwatch or
> subcutaneous implant or whatever.  Moore's Law only rescues one
> generation from its limitations; it also enables a new generation with
> new constraints and new expectations..

Not to mention the fact that Moore's law doesn't really apply to
batteries, and not quite either to the amount of heat your processor
puts out. It's technically quite possible to put a very beefy processor
in the space you have inside one of the larger devices, so long as you
don't mind having to recharge it four times an hour and needing to have
oven gloves and ear protection to handle it.

But who cares about technical issues or wireless devices, it's not like
there are that many. I guess I must be trying to render utter
destruction and desolation onto the XML world again with my evil
hand-waving super-powers, BWA HA HA HA HA!

*sigh*

--
Robin Berjon
   Research Scientist