   Re: [xml-dev] Re: Where does the "nothing left but toolkits" myth come f

On Mon, 7 Feb 2005 22:03:31 -0500, David Lyon
<david.lyon@computergrid.net> wrote:
>. I can't
> see running out of memory or hard-disk space anytime soon....

You apparently don't work with small wireless devices.  It's 1995 all
over again in that world - a couple of MB for your app to work with,
57.6 bps bandwidth to the outside world ...

> seems to me, we should be more worried about our lifes work
> filling 5% of a memory stick.... makes you wonder what we do all day..

The problem is, that attitude infect the consumer :-)  Why should it
take so long to mail pictures from my 8megapixel digital camera to my
friends, and why do their stupid cellphones choke on them?  Not to
mention "why does my battery only last 20 minutes when I do that cool
stuff?"

OK, OK, pretty soon we'll all walk around with 40GB combination
cellphone / camera / music player that communicates via WiFi ... but
then people will want to do this stuff with their wristwatch or
subcutaneous implant or whatever.  Moore's Law only rescues one
generation from its limitations; it also enables a new generation with
new constraints and new expectations..  People will complain that they
can "only" keep a couple of full length movies on their cellphone (or
subcutaneous device hard-wired to the optic and auditory nerves
<grin>) and that's not enough to entertain them all the way across the
Pacific.