   Re: [xml-dev] Re: Where does the "nothing left but toolkits" myth come f

David Lyon wrote:
> but I'm only advocating adding an encoding strategy for dealing with
> business data from the data-centric database world. To giver faster
> throughput and reduce the capacity for xml data processing errors.

Your non-XML language, example:

  <parts>
   <Carparts Item>
    Product_Name&="Selespede gearbox"
   </Carparts Item>
  </parts>

XML, example:

  <parts>
   <carparts-item product-name='Selespede gearbox'/>
  </parts>

An example XML Schema definition that provides the datatype information:

  <xsd:schema xmlns:xsd='http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema'>
   <xsd:complexType name='Parts'>
    <xsd:sequence>
     <xsd:element name='carparts-item' minOccurs='0'
maxOccurs='unbounded'>
      <xsd:complexType>
       <xsd:attribute name='product-name' type='xsd:normalizedString'
use='required'/>
      </xsd:complexType>
     </xsd:element>
    </xsd:sequence>
   </xsd:complexType>
   <xsd:element name='parts' type='Parts'/>
  </xsd:schema>

David's non-XML: 65 significant non-whitespace characters per car-part
entry.
XML: 50 significant non-whitespace characters per car-part entry.

Note that the length of the element and attribute names is the same in
each case.

Granted, the XSD does take up a bit of space. However, it's constant
for all car-parts entries and therefore only needs to be transferred
once (ever). There are also less verbose schema languages. And besides,
we only need 30 car-parts entries to negate the cost of the XSD. In
your data-centric database world, you have LOTS more car-parts entries
that that, right?
--
Chris Burdess