   Re: [xml-dev] Re: Where does the "nothing left but toolkits" myth come f

Harold,

I have a passion about CDATA... they are most definitely a lump of
old car bodies lying in the swamp doing nothing but leaking lead
based paint flakes into the water...

Don't ask me to have a sensible conversation about them.. because
I just can't follow the logic behind them..

Where does "CDATA" come from? My only recollection of the term
is in assembly language programming where you used to have a CDATA
segment for storing data in. Maybe that was in the assembly generated
for C. Whatever... I just bored myself to sleep..

So for some chinese , we take...

    <customer>
         name&="Joe Schmoe"
         addr&="123 Seattle Ave"
         bad_characters&="]]>"
         my_bad_characters="^/ ^m (carriage return) ^t (tab) ^" (quote)"
    </customer>

send it to a chinese customer and get back:

(this works under my linux mail client so I'm sending it anyway)

   <户客>
       姓名&="Joe Schmoe"
       地址&="123 Seattle Ave"
       无效字&="]]>"
       我的无效字="^/ ^m (carriage return) ^t (tab) ^" (quote)"
   </户客>

Proves what ? that no embedded data should cause hickups and
all data should be easy to transport. What do I do with control
characters ? ie Esc 2 J for instance.. leave them in.. just make sure
the field data is started and ended with quotes.

Most commonly, xml is used to take data out of one system and
transport it into another. Typically, it will be records from a database
going into a database somewhere else.

This is a really basic thing, and I'm not sure if younger people
going forward will be patient enough to sit there and listen to
a three hour lecture on CDATA... It sends me to sleep every
time...

--
Computergrid : The ones with the most connections win.