   Re: [xml-dev] Re: Where does the "nothing left but toolkits" myth comefr

/ David Lyon <david.lyon@computergrid.net> was heard to say:
| Where does "CDATA" come from? My only recollection of the term
| is in assembly language programming where you used to have a CDATA
| segment for storing data in. Maybe that was in the assembly generated
| for C. Whatever... I just bored myself to sleep..

Recall that mixed content is identified with #PCDATA. Without
consulting 8879, let me attempt to paraphrase. What does PCDATA stand
for? "Parseable Character Data". And what is CDATA, "Character Data" that
isn't parseable. The fact that it's locked inside the <![CDATA[ section
means that noramally active characters (like & and <) are not active.

| So for some chinese , we take...
|
|     <customer>
|          name&="Joe Schmoe"
|          addr&="123 Seattle Ave"
|          bad_characters&="]]>"
|          my_bad_characters="^/ ^m (carriage return) ^t (tab) ^" (quote)"
|     </customer>
|
| send it to a chinese customer and get back:
|
| (this works under my linux mail client so I'm sending it anyway)
|
|    <户客>
|        姓名&="Joe Schmoe"
|        地址&="123 Seattle Ave"
|        无效字&="]]>"
|        我的无效字="^/ ^m (carriage return) ^t (tab) ^" (quote)"
|    </户客>
|
| Proves what ?

Uh, that you're looking at the document with a tool that doesn't
understand utf-8 or utf-16. Why are you doing that?

                                        Be seeing you,
                                          norm

--
Norman Walsh <ndw@nwalsh.com> | I'm NOT in denial!