   Re: [xml-dev] xml 2.0 - so it's on the way after all?

/ Bob Foster <bob@objfac.com> was heard to say:
| Norman Walsh wrote:
|> 3. Something that works for a well-defined set of strings that can
|>    be defined by some mechanism external to an individual document
|>    but also inside a particular document. Something that has all
|>    the features of general parsed entities.
|
| One radical idea would be to define
| parseable entities in XML, in a
| separate entity namespace, using a
| simple first-definition-wins rule and
| XInclude for the external ones. I
| wonder why nobody's proposed that? Oh,
| wait, a number of people have proposed
| that. They just get slapped around
| here until they go away. ;-}

That may be the right answer, if we have to go that far, but it's not
without complications that would need to be addressed. For one thing,
how would these extra elements interact with validity assessment? For
another, would you allow the declarations to be scoped? If yes, then
that must be first declaration in scope. If not, how do you deal with
transclusion? Are the entity references manifest in the parsed document?
Do they survive parsing and re-seralization? Etc.

                                        Be seeing you,
                                          norm

--
Norman Walsh <ndw@nwalsh.com> | Vision is the art of seeing things