   Re: [xml-dev] Re: Where does the "nothing left but toolkits" myth come f

On Thu, 10 Feb 2005 09:56:13 +1100, Rick Marshall <rjm@zenucom.com> wrote:

> this doesn't answer the question of how to upgrade a million phones
> because a newer, better serialisation has been worked out. in fact that
> in general is the problem with all widely deployed technologies - how
> many websites still consider supporting netscape4?
>
> bnux seems to me to be a useful inhouse protocol, but not a general,
> standardised, industry solution.

this is begging the question.  "bnux couldn't be a industry standard because
it's not an industry standard".  if (as no one has proposed) this
particular protocol
were to be submitted and accepted as a standard of some sort, then the
developers
couldn't go changing it weekly.  problem solved.  or at least, as solved as any
problem like this can be.

what I have to wonder is: would something like this (a binary
serialization protocol)
satisfy some (most? all?) of the requirements of whomever it is asking
for binary XML?
would it still offend the people offended by the idea of binary XML?

--

joe